Lead Automation Engineer
Posted on: September 17, 2023
Before you apply to a job, select your language preference from
the options available at the top right of this page.
Explore your next opportunity at a Fortune Global 500 organization.
Envision innovative possibilities, experience our rewarding
culture, and work with talented teams that help you become better
every day. We know what it takes to lead UPS into tomorrow-people
with a unique combination of skill + passion. If you have the
qualities and drive to lead yourself or teams, there are roles
ready to cultivate your skills and take you to the next level.
The Technology and Innovation (T&I) Team is a part of the
Industrial Engineering department within the UPS Healthcare
Logistics and Distribution (HLD) Business Unit. The team serves a
lead role within the engineering group to support new technology
onboarding, validation and run cost. We are seeking a qualified,
motivated individual to join our team of engineers and lead new
technology development for operating in our Healthcare/GMP
The Lead Automation Engineer will be responsible for identifying
new automation and new uses for existing automation for HLD. After
identifying new technologies, the Lead Automation Engineer will
follow established methodology for the implementation of the
technology wherein the engineer leads or assists in the development
of user requirements, process flows, new layouts (if applicable),
new processes, new systemic functionality, and IQ/OQ/PQ validation.
They will help drive IT setup, repeatable deployment plans, QA
validation, maintenance options and vendors future road map along
with implementation support. The technology could be used in a
variety of conditions from ambient, cooler, freezer, dangerous
goods storage or even regulated storage.
The individual will also be responsible for ongoing industry
knowledge, best practices and trends associated with their
portfolio. Will need to be detail oriented in supporting our QA
validation process along with good communication skills as they
interact with various business units and vendors.
- Design and implement automated systems for use in diverse
dedicated or mixed client environments
- Lead collaborative discussions between departments and key
stakeholders to determine automation feasibility short and long
- Create detailed road maps to guide automation projects from
conception to final implementation
- Assist with training and developing engineering staff to
include on the job training, reviewing work studies, and assisting
with feedback for system improvement
- Perform more comprehensive engineering analytics and system
reviews, such as collecting, reviewing, and analyzing data,
forecasts, and related information.
- Develop layouts, capacity, equipment, and validation
- Prepare presentations for senior management regarding
recommendations of studies and projects; may assist with presenting
- Lead and/or develop standard operating procedures, work
instructions and related materials.
- Identify and deliver on project milestones, communicate with
stakeholders, remove complex obstacles, and ensure a variety of
resources are available.
- Develop specialized or more comprehensive metrics and goals for
programs, oversee performance, and work with staff when potential
problems are identified to bring to resolution.
- Travel up to 30%
- Demonstrates experience with technology including but not
limited to AMRs, AGVs, conveyance types, robotic arms, scanners,
put walls, etc.
- Demonstrates knowledge of healthcare logistics and distribution
including cold chain, controlled substance, and dangerous goods
storage and processing
- Demonstrates experience with healthcare clients including
pharmaceuticals, medical device, nutraceuticals, animal health, and
- Demonstrates understanding of implementation objectives,
project planning, and one's role within a project
- Demonstrates knowledge of common financial terms and
- Demonstrates an understanding and use of grammatical rules;
expresses ideas clearly and concisely; explains the relationship of
effective writing to business objectives
- Identifies/creates routine and complex work
methods/processes/flows to analyze; describes the basic steps in
analysis of data related to people, technology, or information
- Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Access, Teams, OneNote,
Outlook, Word, PowerPoint) & AutoCAD
- Experience in Industrial Engineering and implementations (2 to
4 years' experience preferred)
- Bachelor's degree or international equivalent in Engineering or
- Understanding of IT systems (WMS, WES, WCS) design and
Internal Salary Grade: 20F
UPS is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination,
harassment, and retaliation.
Employer will sponsor visas for specific positions. UPS is an equal
opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of
origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or
any other characteristic protected by law.
Must be a U.S. Citizen or National of the U.S., an alien lawfully
admitted for permanent residence, or an alien authorized to work in
the U.S. for this employer.
Keywords: UPS, Louisville , Lead Automation Engineer, Engineering , Louisville, Kentucky
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!