Company: Southern States Cooperative, Inc.
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Prepares and spreads custom applications of agronomy products on
customers' fields, including dry and/or liquid fertilizer, crop
protectants, lime and other treatment products. Performs general
maintenance and repair work to keep equipment in good operating
condition. Strictly adheres to established regulations and
operating procedures while working independently at customer
Essential Job Functions -- complexity of essential job functions
increases with grade level
- Prepare custom application of dry fertilizer, crop protectants
and other treatment products according to customer work order.
Transfer dry bulk products from trailers into bulk spreading
vehicles. Handle, lift, load equipment and operate controls.
- Effectively operate bulk spreading vehicles including: Dry row
spreader, John Deere dry body, Spreader Trucks and/or Terra-Gator.
Apply dry fertilizer, crop protectants and other treatment products
to customers' fields. Ensure complete coverage to designated areas.
Check equipment for proper application and spread pattern and make
corrections as needed.
- REQUIRED LICENSING: Licensing requirements may vary by location
and are based on current state/federal regulations.
- Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
The essential functions below are required for all grades and
- Maintain regular communication with Applicator team members and
manager to ensure efficient scheduling and dispatching. Provide
updates and input on equipment condition, supply of materials,
productivity and other critical factors.
- Drive to customer locations utilizing Southern States
Cooperative, Inc. (SSC) vehicles. Represent SSC in a positive and
customer-focused manner through professional communication and
proper treatment of customer land, property and all equipment.
- Properly utilize and maintain equipment. Perform routine
preventive maintenance and repair to keep equipment in good working
condition. Advise supervisor of complex equipment issues to ensure
timely repair or replacement. Maintain up-to-date maintenance
records for equipment and vehicle. Participate annually in
equipment rodeos to ensure equipment quality as well as GrowMaster
- Assist with taking physical inventory of fertilizers, crop
protectants, and related products. Adhere to inventory control
initiatives. May assist with shipping and/or receiving of various
fertilizer and crop protectant products as determined by business
need. Effectively utilize forklift and other material handling
equipment according to facility procedures.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area by keeping tools,
equipment and supplies in proper places. Minimize waste and
properly dispose of waste material. Perform all related cleaning of
equipment, vehicle and work areas according to Housekeeping Plan,
Manufacturer's Guidelines and SSC procedures.
- Participate in specialized training, certification courses,
and/or meetings as required. Learn and develop skills to enhance
job performance, including: applicator techniques, account
scheduling and servicing, operations procedures and safety
- Work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, customer's
property, co-workers, equipment, or inventory. Utilize Personal
Protective Equipment (PPE) as required. Operate all equipment and
vehicles according to SSC policy and government regulations. Comply
with OSHA regulations, Southern States Environmental Health and
Safety (EHS) standards, work rules and policies.
- May be required to assist in warehouse or drive delivery routes
for feed and farm supplies as determined by business need.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
Education: Requires a High School Diploma or General Education
Prefer previous experience applying fertilizer, crop protectants
and other treatment products and/or working an agricultural
environment. Prefer experience operating a forklift. Previous
Southern States work experience a plus.
Requires a Class A CDL.
Requirements -- complexity of requirements increases with grade
- This position requires the safe operation of a motor vehicle to
perform essential job functions and mandatory compliance with the
SSC motor vehicle safety policy
- Satisfactory completion of a basic Agronomy Short Course within
- Satisfactory completion of one-on-one training with experienced
applicator prior to unsupervised use of equipment
- Able to learn and effectively apply knowledge of applicator
equipment operation including precision ag software and
- Able to learn and effectively apply knowledge of SSC applicator
procedures and government regulations
- Able to learn and effectively apply knowledge of how machines
and processes work to troubleshoot and perform general maintenance
and repair of applicator equipment
- Able to utilize GPS equipment
- Able to read and interpret operations manuals, manufacturer's
instructions, diagrams, and formulas
- Able to work well independently and follow safety, quality
control and operating procedures at all times
- Able to add, subtract, multiply, divide and calculate
percentages in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common
fractions and decimals
- Attention to detail
- Able to communicate with customers in a professional
- Able to speak, read, write the English language in a proficient
- Able to work extended hours to meet business demands
Primarily performs essential job functions outdoors and may not
be protected from weather conditions. Occasionally performs
essential job functions indoors in an environment that is not
climate controlled and experiences temperature and humidity
Frequently exposed to hazards including:
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE
- Dust, odors, fumes and hazardous chemicals associated with
application of dry and liquid fertilizers, crop protectants and
other treatment products
- Vibrations, electrical current, lubricants and wet
Schedule requirements will vary during peak and off-peak
production seasons. Extended hours and/or alternate work schedules
are required and may vary by location. Ability to report to work on
time and in adverse weather conditions is required.
Physical Activities & Requirements
This role requires continuous physical activity to perform
essential job functions for the duration of the shift. At times
extended hours are required. Description of physical activity is a
general summary and may vary by location.
- Continuously bend, crouch, stoop; drive motorized equipment;
manual dexterity (fingers and hands) to handle controls, tools and
equipment; reach with arms and hands for extended periods while
driving and operating equipment; stand and walk for extended
periods on uneven surfaces; utilize hands in repetitive motion;
utilize eye/hand/foot coordination; twist back and neck. Pull,
push, lift, carry up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently balance, kneel, shovel, stack, sweep; climb steps in
and out of vehicle throughout the shift; utilize feet in repetitive
motion. Pull, push, lift, carry 50-80 pounds.
- Occasionally pull, push, lift, carry 80-100 pounds.
Must be able to hear vehicle and equipment sounds, co-workers
and radio. Must be able to speak to co-workers and customers
regarding production and safety. Specific vision abilities required
by this position include: close vision, distance vision, color
vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to
Tools & Equipment
Hard hat, steel toed shoes, safety glasses, mask (nose & mouth),
ear plugs, gloves, respirator, face shield, front end loader,
forklift, scale, manuals, forms, spreadsheets, telephone.
Additional personal protective equipment as required by any and all
applicator product warning labels. Motor vehicles and specialized
applicator tools and equipment, all of which may vary by
Southern States Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer and
does not discriminate against individuals based on their race,
color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex
(including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender
identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic
information, or any other status protected by federal, state or
local laws, or regulations.
Keywords: Southern States Cooperative, Inc., Louisville , Fertilizer Applicator, Other , Shelbyville, Kentucky
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!